Q Student Editor is a banner application which gives users the ability to edit existing student records, withdraw students, and enroll new students.
Accessing the Student Editor
➢ Menu ➢Enrollment ➢ Student Editor
You may search for students in the Student Editor by using the arrow keys or the Find function. The Student Editor defaults to show actively enrolled students. Select Active, Inactive or Both from the Drop down menu.
There are three tabs located on the left hand side of the screen:
- Maintenance- displays existing student demographic information and enrollment records. It also gives users the ability to edit student information.
- Enroll/Withdraw- used when a student is leaving the district and all enrollment records need to be closed.
- New Student- allows users to enroll students in a specific school/track.
How to Edit Existing Student Records
When the Student Editor is initially launched for an existing student, the default view is the Maintenance Tab. The Maintenance Tab is broken down into four areas:
- Student Contacts
- District Transfers/ Boundary Exceptions.
Click the area name on the left to show detailed corresponding information to the right. Click Edit, Add, or Delete in any of the four areas to update existing information.
Click Submit at the top left corner of the screen to save the changes. To clear all changes made, click Cancel or Reset. To jump to different demographic sections, click the links below the student banner.
Enrolling a New Student
- Launch the Student Editor
- Click the New Student Tab
- Search the database to find a student. Students who have been enrolled in the district in the past will be available for re-enrollment. It is imperative to do a careful search to avoid adding duplicate students to the database.
Enter information in the search box. The results returned will also include names that sound like your name search. If the student’s name appears in the list, highlight the name and click Continue with Selected Student. If the name does not appear in the list, click Add New Student.
STEP 1. DEMOGRAPHICS
- Personal Information- Enter Student’s (legal) Name, Ethnicity, Race, Birth Date, Birth Place and Primary Language. The Primary Language is determined by the response in questions 1 through 3 on the Home Language Survey.
- Address/Phone/Residence Information- First select the correct district from the District of Residence drop down menu. Next, click the Household button.
The current household address box pops-up. Click on Different Household or Change this address.
If you selected Different Household:
- Enter the house number or street to display households. Click Find
- Clicking on the Address displays the Household members in the box below. If the household you are trying to find is listed, highlight the address and click Select.
- If you do not see the household you are looking for, click Create New Household. Enter the address information and click Submit.
If you selected Change this Address:
- Enter the address and click Submit.
NOTE: An error message displays upon submission if the address is out of District.
- Check the ‘Override address validation and save invalid address?’ box.
- Click the Geocode drop down arrow box. Scroll to the top. Click to select the blank line.
- Click Submit.
- Enter the Primary Phone number.
- School of Choice will display for Intradistrict Transfer Students.
- Additional Information- may also be added at this time including School Information, Transportation Information, Legal Bindings, and Notes.
- Language Survey - Enter the original Home Language Survey (HLS) information. Per Ed Code, a response of any language other than English in any of the questions 1 through 3 automatically flags a student to be tested.
- Schooling- Fill in the 1st K-12 Enrollment for TK- 8th grade only. The CA school date may be different from US school date if the student attended a school out of state. Last School Attended is vital to obtain an accurate State ID for the student. Comment in the Notes field if the student has never attended school.
- Miscellaneous- Check the Media Permission box if the parent gives approval. Check the Pesticide Notice box if the parent requests notification of pesticide spraying. Select a Parent Ed. Level from the drop down box.
- Click Submit & Continue
STEP 2. ENROLLMENT
- Enrollment status screen opens. The date defaults to the system date. Select the correct grade level, Teacher/Advisor, Entry Date, Entry Reason, and School from the drop down menu. Click Submit & Continue.
NOTE: An error message will display if a Boundary Exception needs to be added or if required fields have not been completed.
STEP 3. STUDENT CONTACTS
- Every Student must have at least one contact identified as a Parent/Guardian.
- Always perform a search before adding a new contact.
- Contact screen opens.
- Edit an existing contact by clicking the icon.
- Delete an existing contact by clicking the icon. A message will pop-up. Click OK to confirm.
- To add a new contact; search for contact entering name or address in the search fields.
- If a matching contact is found, highlight the contact and click Add Selected Contact.
- If no matching contact is found, click the Add New Contact button. Enter the contact name.
- Select the contact type and relationship to student from the drop down boxes.
- If the contact lives with the student, check the ‘Lives With Student’ box. If the contact does not live with the student, enter the contact’s address, phone number and available information.
- Click Done once all the contacts have been added.
- The order of all contacts may be adjusted by clicking and dragging the arrows up or down.
STEP 4. DISTRICT TRANSFERS/ BOUNDARY EXCEPTIONS
- Students residing out of boundary must have a Boundary Exception.
- Enter Date, Agreement Number (school’s discretion), Transfer Type, Transfer Reason, Transfer from School/District, and notes. Click Submit.
Withdrawing a Student
The Q Student Editor Withdraw option is used when a student is leaving the district and all enrollment records need to be closed.
- Find the student to be withdrawn
- Click the Enroll/Withdraw button
- Click the Withdraw button
- Enter the exit date (the date defaults to the system date but may be changed).
- Select the exit reason.
- Click Submit.
- The enrollment exit date displays after submitting.
- All classes in the student schedule show an exit date that matches the enrollment exit date.